February 8, 2009

DOD: death overdose

Chalmers Johnson is once again dissecting the Pentagon's stupid and murderous policies in his new article over at TomDispatch.

The article reminded me of something Hunter S. Thompson wrote back in May 2002 to the editor of the London Independent, Simon. I'll quote a small part of the piece which is called "Welcome to the Fourth Reich" that appears in Kingdom of Fear.

"We are in bad trouble over here, Simon. The deal is going down all over the once-proud U.S.A. We are down to our last cannonball(s). Stand back! Those Pentagon swine are frantic to kick some ass, and many job opportunities are opening up in the Armaments, Surveillance, and New Age Security industries.

Hell, did I forget to mention those jobs? How silly of me. There is always a bull market for vengeance and violence in America, and on some days I have been part of it. You bet. In my wild and dangerous youth I wanted to be a dashing jet pilot, a smiling beast who zooms across the sky doing victory rolls and monster sonic booms just over the beach in Laguna. Hot damn, Simon, I could walk on water in those days. I had a license to kill."